Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

For my birthday, Casey took me to Oahu, Hi...without Weston. I know, I pretty much have the best husband ever :) We found a great deal and Jason and Ashley were nice enough/willing to watch Weston for 5 days while we soaked up the sun. We had such a fun trip and were able to do and see so many things that we couldn't have done with Weston there, but luckily he was doing just fine without us back home. I don't even think he missed us. I'm going to warn you that this is a REALLY LONG post of pictures, but it is per Casey's request. I like to fully document an event and this is how he thought I should do it. Enjoy!

Our first picture on the beach
After a few hours of snorkeling we took a break for lunch and had the famous Matsumoto's shaved ice. I had shaved ice another time we were there, but this was the best by a long shot. It was so smooth and just melted in your mouth. Yum!
Just in case you were wondering how a pineapple grows. This was at the Dole Plantation.
Waimea Beach Park. This was a great beach with this rock that everyone jumps off of, which we did.
Casey making the jump
Waikiki Beach
We would often go down to Waikiki beach to watch the locals boogie board. They were very entertaining since they didn't boogie board the typical way.
This is a plumeria tree. The flowers smelled so good and I would always pick one up on our walks on the beach.
Nu'u'anu Pali lookout. It was really windy up there.

A pagoda at the Valley of the Temples
Casey banging the gong. It is customary to do this before you enter.
A view at the Valley of the Temples. It was a huge graveyard that featured many different religions.
Some piled rocks we saw on the way to the Polynesian Cultural Center The Laie, HI temple For lunch we stopped by a shrimp truck (which are all over the island) that was right next to the fruit stand owned my Reno Mahe's dad (played for BYU and the Eagles). The owner lets everyone write on his truck.
The coconut shrimp Casey got at one of the shrimp trucks. It was so yummy!
At the Tongan village at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I got Casey to go up and play the drums. It was pretty funny and I wish I had gotten a video of it. Getting his special headdress at the end.
At the Samoa Village they have a tree climbing demonstration that is really cool. This was our favorite village. The guys were so funny.
One of the Samoans striking a pose on the tree
Getting my Lei right before the Luau.
Bringing our the roasted pig from the ground
Casey got me a pineapple smoothie and it was delicious!

We went on the Diamond Head Crater hike and you had to go up 100+ stairs.My Jellyfish sting. Both Casey and I got stung by a dead Bubble Jellyfish that had crazy long. tenticles. I got the worst of it as you can tell. It stung a lot at first, but dulled after 30 minutes or so. You could still see where the barbs went in my skin for a few days though
Pearl Harbor. We loved it here and it makes you even more appreciative for the men that serve our country and those that lost their lives so many years ago. I got a little teary-eyed in the video beforehand.
The memorial over the USS Arizona.
The ship still leaks oil after all these years
Some of the burnt steel

4 comments:

Kerstin Miller said...

wow! how fun for both of you!

JD said...

valley of the temples looked awesome.

casey never took me to hawaii on my birthday

Ashley Clark said...

What an amazing birthday present! I will suggest this to Doug. Way to go Casey! BTW, congrats on #2. :)

Spencer Mortensen said...

That looked like a sick vacation, good job casey and happy belated b-day jenna. lets start planning something for Rio 2016- what do ya say? i might be done with school by then